Last Christmas I was cooking for a non-vegan French friend and decided to try out my tofoie gras recipe. It went down a storm! I know some vegans can’t get their heads around recreating a dish produced in such a vile, torturous way. Foie gras (French for fatty liver) is a pâté made of the diseased liver of ducks or geese that have been fattened up by force-feeding with a tube, a process known as gavage. This is torture marketed as a delicacy.
Foie gras is illegal to produce in the UK but it is legal to import it. After sustained pressure from Viva!, Amazon stopped selling it as have many restaurants now including Heston Blumenthal’s. Viva! continue to campaign for its complete removal from shops and restaurants in the UK. If you spot it on a menu in the UK, drop Viva! a line! email@example.com
The reason I made this is because I want to show everyone, regardless of diet, that vegans can have it all without death and cruelty on our plates! The advent of aqua faba and the beautiful, light, crunchy meringues you can make without eggs was a milestone. We’ve come such a long way since White Wave soya milk and Tomor margarine!!
Have a very merry, cruelty-free Christmas!
Ingredients for six small pots:
- 200g smoked tofu (I used Taifun)
- 100g cashew pieces, soaked in water for a few hours
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- A few drops of liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 tsp cognac (use brandy if you don’t have cognac)
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tbsp vegan butter (I like Naturli)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Blend everything expect the butter and turmeric together until smooth.
- Spoon into small pots and smooth the top down.
- Melt the butter in a pan then stir in the turmeric until it has dissolved.
- Pour a little of the melted butter onto the top of the pâté in each pot then chill in the fridge for at least one hour before serving.
- Serve with warm toast.