Vegan MoFo 2019: Friday 30th: Inspired by your favourite city – a Bolognese to make Bologna proud
I’ve done a U-tune on using carrots in Bolognaise! I used to sneer at the idea of adding them, then after reading up on it and hearing several different people describe how they make their Bolognaise sauce, I’ve changed my mind.
This video from Alpro was the final decider for me. The little old Italian lady puffs away on her cigarette describing how you start your sauce off by frying onions, celery and carrots… I am born again! Well, in terms of adding carrots to my Bolognaise, that’s all.
Ingredient – serves 4
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 200g (half a pack) soya mince
- A large squirt of tomato purée
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 large splosh of red wine
- Large pinch of oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Spaghetti (around 100g per person)
- Fry the onion, carrot and celery in olive oil for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the soya mince and fry for a minute or two.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for a couple more mins.
- Add the tomatoes, wine and herbs.
- Season to taste and cook for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti as directed on the pack.
- Serve spaghetti and Bolognaise with vegan Parmesan.