The wild garlic this year is HOT! It’ll keep everyone away not just vampires! I made pesto with it using lots of walnuts and hazelnuts to try and temper its kick. You can use this on pasta or mix it into stews, stir it into the sauce in a lasagne, put a small blob on your soup or even spread it thinly on toast before adding slices of avocado.
- 100g wild garlic, washed and dried
- 50g walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 25g hazelnuts, toasted and chopped (or shop bought)
- 100ml olive oil
- 30g vegan parmesan (I like Violife Non-Dairy Cheese Alternative Prosociano With Parmesan Flavour – available from Ocado and various supermarkets), thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Toss the walnuts about in a small pan on a medium heat for a few minutes – don’t let them burn – you should just be able to smell them toasting.
- Do the same with the hazelnuts (or just buy toasted, chopped ones!).
- Put the toasted nuts in a food processor and blend them until they are a mix of nutty powder with a few small piece for texture.
- Add the oil, wild garlic and parmesan and blend until all the leaves are finely chopped.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into three or four small jars and keep in the fridge.