What would you bring to a pot luck?
Pot luck suppers are more of an American thing, not so common in the UK. However, people do sometimes invite you bring a dish along and when anyone leaves the office I work in, we quite often all chip in and bring something in to share.
I’ve made these savoury muffins a few times and they go down a storm. The recipe is adapted from Appetite for Reduction by the marvellous Isa Moskowitz. The rosemary and parmesan give them a great savoury kick.
- 1 cup of mashed, cooked sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons of rapeseed (canola) oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp. grated vegan parmesan
- 2-3 tsp water
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary and some finely grated parmesan to garnish
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Place 24 mini muffin cases in a 24-hole muffin tin.
- In a bowl, mix the mashed sweet potato with the oil, syrup, vinegar and salt.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder then and add the rosemary and parmesan.
- Mix it all together until it make a soft dough – add some water if needed but take care not to make it too soggy and don’t overmix it.
- Drop a spoonful of dough into each muffin case.
- Bake for 15 mins until browned and firm.
- Remove them from the oven and stick a sprig of rosemary into a few of them and sprinkle with fine parmesan while they are still hot.