This month’s #MiniMoFo theme is food with friends. This tart is a bit fiddly to make but well worth it as it’s great for sharing with friends along with a few cold glasses on a warm evening in the garden. Now we just need the summer to finally arrive…
Recipe adapted from: www.italianchips.com/spinach-pie
For the pastry:
- 500 g of flour
- 90 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 200 ml of dry white wine
- 2 tsp of salt
For the stuffing:
- 350 g of steamed spinach chopped
- ½ tub of Tofutti cream cheese
- 100 g of grated vegan cheese
- 1 handful of walnuts, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 slice wholemeal bread, toasted and blitzed to make breadcrumbs
- Mix all the ingredients for the pastry but avoid overmixing – you just need to combine it all together, then set aside in the fridge.
- Steam the spinach and roughly chop.
- Mix the spinach with the cream cheese, grated cheese, walnuts, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Divide the pastry in two.
- Make two circles (one around 30cm the other slightly bigger~35cm) using a rolling pin.
- Place the first circle on baking paper.
- Place one large handful of the stuffing in the centre of the circle, shape into a uniform mound.
- Arrange the remaining stuffing into a ring around the mound.
- Using a little soya milk or water, brush the borders of pastry around the edge and around the mound.
- Place the lager, second circle of pastry on top and gently press down around the mound and using a fork, gently squash the edges together around the entire circle.
- Place a small bowl over the central stuffing and punch with a fork all around to make a circle.
- Brush the whole top with soya milk or water.
- Then comes the exciting bit. Using a sharp knife cut the borders into 3cm slices (they will be slightly fanned in shape).
- Be bold now and turn each one firmly but gently onto its side to reveal the stuffing.
- Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven at 180°C.
- Serve at a party, to share with friends.