Theme: Deconstructed dish – Hipster style food. Serving it on a slate is optional.
Well, where do I start? Craft beer, artisan bread, smashed avocado (really!), beef broth in a mason jar (ack!), well, anything in a bloody mason jar, gourmet burgers, pulled pork, civet coffee (expensive wild cat-crap coffee to you and me), maple bacon, balsamic emulsion, heirloom tomatoes, raspberry reduction, elevated toast, artisan pickle – that’s just homemade isn’t it? Oof the list goes on and on. So here it is, my take on hipster food – Deconstructed Piña Colada Cupcakes.
The recipe is adapted from Pineapple Right-Side-Up Cupcakes (Oh the irony!) from the great book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I made the cakes, as shown below, for a friend’s birthday and decorated them with Love Heart sweets. My friend thought the big Birthday box was an exciting present and grabbed it and gave it a good shake. Hence – Deconstructed Cupcakes!!! We all put our hands in and ate them anyway.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup rapeseed (canola) oil
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp coconut cream (store in the fridge overnight first then use the thick creamy top)
- 2 tsp white rum
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Whisk the pineapple, coconut milk, oil and sugar in a large bowl until frothy and smooth.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients.
- Divide between the 12 cupcake liners, they will be about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Cream together the margarine and coconut cream then add the icing sugar and rum.
- Store in the fridge for 30 mins or more then pipe onto the cakes.
- If you have any leftover pineapple, add a couple of small chucks to each cake.