Adapted from a recipe by Bosh. This is really cheap to make! I used half a block of Cauldron Food plain tofu (about 75p’s worth!). The tofu comes out crispy and sweet with a kick of chilli and salty tamari. It’s a bit fiddly but well worth it.
- 1/2 a block of plain tofu, chopped into little finger-sized sticks
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tbs of sweet chilli sauce or chilli jam
- A large squirt of Sriacha (hot chilli sauce)
- 3 tbsp tamari (or soya sauce)
- 1 squirt of tomato puree
- 1 small sachet of sugar (like you get in cafes)
- Vegetable oil
- Black onion (nigella) seeds and sesame seeds
- Coat the tofu stick in cornflour by sprinkling the flour through a sieve onto the tofu then turning the sticks over until evenly coated.
- Put the orange juice, sweet chilli sauce, Sriacha, tamari and sugar in a big flat frying pan (cast iron if you have one) and cook down to a thick sauce.
- Fry the flour-covered tofu sticks in hot vegetable oil until they begin to brown.
- Transfer the tofu into the pan containing the sauce and coat the sticks until they are all covered.
- Serve with rice and stir-fried vegetables.
- Sprinkle black onion and sesame seeds on the tofu.