Day 13 in the 2016 Vegan MoFo: Feed the Alien – An alien lands on your doorstep. What are they going to eat?
Dallas: I haven’t seen anything like that except, uh, molecular acid.
Brett: It must be using it for blood.
Parker: It’s got a wonderful defense mechanism. You don’t dare kill it
So now we’ve had Brexit and Trump is to be the next US president. The hideous inequalities and injustices around the world prevail and there is little sign of anything changing. The way we treat animals is an absolute horror. I would feel a mixture of shame and fear if aliens turned up. Part of me wishes they would and that they’d be like the ones Ripley encountered in the film Alien! If they were friendly then I would advise them to do a U-turn and jog on. If they insisted on staying for lunch I could make them a pretty salad with no dead animals in it.
Quinoa, Fennel and Carrot Salad
- 100g white, black and red quinoa
- 2 small carrots, sliced using a peeler
- 1/2 bulb of fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tsp za’ater
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Small handful of fennel leaves
- Heat 360ml water in a small pan then add the quinoa and bring to the boil, simmer for 15 mins until cooked. The water should all be absorbed into the quinoa.
- Let the quioa cool for a few minutes then mix in the carrot, fennel and onions.
- Mix the za’atar with the lemon juice and olive oil and syrup and pour over the salad.
- Garnish with the fennel leaves.