So it begins – Vegan MoFo! (‘month of food’ for the uninitiated). This year each day of September has a prompt for what to post about. I think it’s a great idea. Today it is ‘Rise and Shine! It’s MoFo time! Tell us about your breakfast’.
One of the best breakfasts I ever had was in a vegan café called Herbivore in San Francisco. They serve the best scrambled tofu with spinach and tomatoes, house potatoes and French toast! It was amazing! I’ve tried to recreate it several times and made many variations and here’s my recipe for Sunday Scrambled tofu… when you want something a bit fancy pants for your day off!
Serves two lazy Sunday brunchers
- A small spray or splash of olive oil
- 200-300g plain tofu, mashed roughly with a fork
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- ½ small red pepper, chopped
- A large pinch of turmeric
- A sprinkle of oregano
- Small handful of fresh garden herbs: basil, chives, parsley… chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of black salt (kala namak)
Heat the oil in a shallow frying pan then add the tofu, onion, pepper, turmeric and oregano and fry gently until it starts to brown. Add the fresh herbs, season to taste.
Serve with onion bagels, sausages, oven-baked cherry tomatoes, crushed potatoes, homemade chipotle sauce… whatever you fancy!