Sweet and sour chicken is an old favourite often served in Chinese restaurants in the 1970s. Traditionally made with chunks of chicken deep-fried in batter and served with sweet and sour sauce. It’s very easy to veganise using VBites Vegi Deli Chicken Style Nuggets. The recipe is very simple and the results are totally delicious. I would recommend cooking this for meat-eating friends – they will be amazed!
- 100g plain flour
- 1 dessert spoon of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of Chinese five spice
- 1 teaspoonful of toasted sesame oil
- 125ml (more or less) water
- Seasoned flour to coat the chicken
- 1 box VBites Chicken Style Nuggets
Mix all the dry ingredients and add the oil. Then add the water slowly and whisk until you get to the consistently of thick cream. Then let it stand for 30 mins. Break the mock chicken up into pieces and coat in seasoned flour. Coat each piece in batter and deep fry in hot vegetable oil until golden brown – around 3-4 mins.