It’s spring at last! The daffodils are out, I’ve got tulips and we had new potatoes for brunch the other day! I thought I’d celebrate by putting together a list of 10 eggless cracking ideas for a vegan breakfast. So here it is:
1) Scrambled Tofu. Crumble plain tofu into a small frying pan and cook on a low heat with herbs, finely chopped onion, turmeric and black salt. Serve on hot wholemeal toast with grilled tomatoes.
2) Pancakes. Vegan pancakes are a doddle with this easy recipe (follow the links to the soya guide and go to page 38. Serve with fresh fruit and syrup.
3) Fried Tempeh Sandwiches. Thinly slice your tempeh (or buy pre-sliced) and fry in a little olive oil until beginning to brown. Use freshly baked white bread and ketchup for a naughty vegan bacon-style sarnie!
4) Mushroom on Toast. Slice your mushrooms and toss them into a pan with some finely crushed garlic and a little olive oil. Heat thoroughly and serve with warm wholemeal toast.
5) Bubble & Squeak. I like making this fresh even though bubble and squeak should really be made from leftovers. Steam some cabbage and mix well into freshly mashed potatoes – season well. Shape into little patties and fry until browned. Serve with chipotle baked beans and sausages if you are very hungry.
6) Frankies. Frankfurters are great for a quick tasty breakfast. Heat as directed and serve either in a sandwich or with sauté potatoes and beans.
7) Plantain. Fried plantain is hard to beat! Choose dark fruits that look like they are going to be black inside – they won’t be! Slice and fry in olive oil then sprinkle fresh lime juice on and tuck in.
8) Tommy beans. If you can’t do much more than open a can, this is the best option for you! Combine half a can of beans with half a can of chopped tomatoes, add a pinch of smoked paprika and heat through. Serve on your favourite bread toasted.
9) Fruit and yoghurt. Just as it says…
10) Breakfast of Kings. All of the above! Sausages, tempeh, sautéd potatoes or potato cakes, beans (with spices or not), grilled mushrooms, grilled cherry tomatoes, toast… you know it makes sense!
That’s it! No nitrosamines, no animal fat, no animal hormones, no excuses! Vegan-style breakfast now – don’t even wait until the morning…