I first made this salad to take to my sister’s last Christmas to go with the various curries and Indian snacks she was cooking. It combines red chilli peppers, lime juice, mango, fresh coriander and toasted cumin seeds with a variety of brightly coloured, seasonal vegetables. It can be served with samosas and/or pakoras as a light meal, could be used in a Thali or served with your favourite take-away. I’ve since made it for various friends when going round to their house for a take-away as it goes very well with a curry. If you don’t have all the ingredients you can substitute other vegetables – just stick in whatever you fancy!
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- ¼ medium red cabbage, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, chopped1 medium mango, chopped1 small red pepper chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- Large handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Splash of toasted sesame seed oil
- 2 tsp toasted cumin seeds
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and enjoy!